The Furness was my only guard. It is hot, and it tells you that you will be burned alive if you cross it. It is vast and powerful and smothering, and nothing about it will tell you different. It is harsh and unforgiving, pitiless and merciless; it makes no promise of redemption or favor or salvation. The wilderness outside Tenskils is a brutal overseer whom we all trust, because it never, ever, leads us astray. It speaks to us, and we obey it. We listen to it, and know that it is truthful.
~Gabriel Standers
This post will be a contest. What sort of machinery would be required to harvest energy and resources from the brutal, unforgiving land that the Clan of the Tenskils inhabit? Can you imagine what kind of engineering would be required to survive in Gabriel's world? But cities at some point started out as colonies working the land, and had to build up their enormous shelters to support agriculture and basic living needs. After the death of the Cold World, rebuilding was likely not very easy—and I will not spoil that adventure for you here just yet 😇.
I have kindly asked Craiyon.com to draw up some machines based on this world. I have no idea what they are, but that is what I am asking your help with.
- Look at these two pictures, and choose your favorite.
- Write in the comments what you think this machine would do in Gabriel's world.
The best answer which fits his world, will have their machine entered into the novel 😊
![]() |
| Vehicle 1 If this is your favorite vehicle, what is it called and what does it do? Enter your ideas in the comments! |
![]() |
| Vehicle 2 If this is your favorite, enter your comment on what it is and what it does! |


I like 2, for the surrealist of it.
ReplyDeleteI feel like it could be a ship used to clean the air somehow. Perhaps the circular thing on the front is a filter that catches different types of air pollution and the other parts clean the streets somehow.
This is just my idea, this is a cool contest. :)
-Quinley
Thank you! I did need something that caught the toxic air and converted it, so this could be that machine. Thanks for the idea!
Delete